Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anaphylactic Shock Symptoms

Go down

Anaphylactic Shock Symptoms Empty Anaphylactic Shock Symptoms

Post  mrsamct Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:58 am

Gebäudemanagement München
Calgary Marketing
Anaphylactic shock is also known as anaphylaxis, a severe and life-threatening form of an allergic reaction. It is defined as a condition wherein, there is a malfunctioning response of the body's immune system towards any allergen like food, medications, insect bites, etc. The immune system protects the body from the invasion of any foreign substances, such as a bacterium or a virus, by producing antibodies. This is what a healthy immune system normally does.

However, the immune system of some people overreacts negatively, even to substances which are generally not considered to be allergic or anything of that sort. So what happens with such immune systems is, they set of a chemical chain reaction, which causes a flood of chemicals to be released. This malfunctioning causes allergy symptoms to occur and the person often goes into a shock. It may take just seconds or minutes for the shock to hit the person once he is exposed to substances which he is allergic to. The explanation given below will detail the different anaphylactic shock symptoms and treatment procedures to look forward to, when the person has been hit by the shock.

Symptoms of Anaphylactic Shock

The common anaphylactic shock symptoms include hives, itching, pale skin and a weak or a rapid pulse. The tongue might get swollen or even the throat and lips too. This can cause wheezing and trouble in breathing. The affected person may experience a metallic taste in mouth, dizziness, nausea, sore and itchy eyes, vomiting, diarrhea or even fainting, feeling of getting collapses or unconscious. Some people may show these symptoms within minutes of exposure to an allergen like food, medications or insect sting, while they may also appear after half an hour after the exposure. People who have had episodes of suffering from mild allergic reactions in the past, are also susceptible or prone to be hit by such anaphylactic shock symptoms. Anaphylactic shock symptoms in children are no different from the ones which have been described above. Now I'll let you know about the factors which become responsible for bringing on this kind of a severe medical condition. Read more on allergies.

Causes of Anaphylactic Shock

Substances which have been found to be among the most common triggering agents for anaphylactic shock are foods such as peanuts, tree nuts fish, sesame seeds, shellfish, milk and eggs. Antibiotic penicillin and certain other medications and stings from insects such as bees, wasps, yellow jackets, hornets and fire ants are the other causes which are responsible for the anaphylactic shock symptoms to occur. Apart from these, those which are considered to be the less common causes of anaphylaxis are natural latex (rubber), muscle relaxants and exercises.

Know more on:

* Allergic Reaction to Bee Sting
* Allergic Reactions from Insect Bites
* Allergic Reaction to Antibiotics

Anaphylactic Shock Treatment

Immediate medical attention is what is required to be called for, as soon as the affected person starts showing any anaphylactic shock symptoms, such as those mentioned above. Call 911 immediately and in the mean time, keep a check on the pulse and breathing of the person. If he stops breathing, then perform (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) CPR. At the doctor's, he may be given certain medications to manage the anaphylactic shock symptoms. These might include those which would help to reduce the body's allergic response, oxygen to improve breathing and steroid medications to prevent the symptoms which are prolonged.

It is advisable for people who suffer from episodes of severe anaphylactic shock to carry an auto-injector. This device helps to inject a single dose of medication when the person is hit by an attack. It is also essential for the susceptible person to be aware about how to use the device. If family members or friends are also aware about the use, then they might provide great help in saving the patient's life in case of an emergency.

The condition of anaphylactic shock cannot be cured completely. However, people can prepare themselves and prevent any future attacks. It is wise to wear medical alert devices in the form of necklace or bracelet and always have the required stock of medications in order to deal with an emergency. If the anaphylactic shock symptoms are occurring due to insect bites or stings, then maintain a safe distance from their vicinity and do not walk bare foot on grass or the like. Keep a check on the foods you take and maintain a record of those which might have caused an anaphylactic shock before. Sometimes, even after taking all the require preventive steps, people might have to confront from an episode of anaphylaxis. Identifying the symptoms and responding quickly, is the best line of treatment one should always pay heed to.


Posts : 111
Join date : 2011-08-04

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum